Ok, I saw Superman Returns last tuesday at an early screening.... and then saw it again this past sunday. I can easily spend 5 hours typing up my review of this flick. But I'll spare us all that. Instead, here are my main points I'd like to make:
* The Superman action scenes were awesome! Anytime he was using his powers, it was spectacular. I wanted more!
* Where the first 2 Superman movies had SUPERMAN as the focus character, this is more about CLARK. Even when he's in the suit, he's still Clark. I think Smallville is the cause of this. It's not necessarily bad or anything, but it makes this film a diff't film all together than the previous ones. This is a Clark Kent movie.
* Brandon Routh does a great Clark, but his Superman is lacking. When in the suit, he just doesn't have the larger-than-life presence that Superman exudes. Also, his Superman has too much Clark still in it. The only time where he does a decent Superman is on the plane where he tells the passangers....... Great writing and decent performance. But again, he also looks too young and too small-framed to be a great Superman. Perhaps the next outing he will be better....? Hit the gym, Routh, and barrel up that chest, damnit!
* Singer does a good job setting up scenes, character interactions and structuring the movie itself - lots of parallels throughout.
* The 1st Half was quite good. But by midway, it takes a nosedive down and becomes slow and abit boring. The ending is very anti-climatic.
* Overall, its a good MOVIE, but not a very good SUPERMAN movie.
A Movie In General: B+
Clark Kent Movie: B
Superman Movie: B-/C+
Click here for more, but be WARNED, there are SPOILERS in there!!