Thursday, November 26, 2009

WANT TO CONTRIBUTE TO MY INSANE MISSION?

quick back story:
In 1986 I saw ALIENS and was forever changed. I picked up every magazine I could find that had pictures from the movie and searched for the novelization, which no one in my area seemed to have. Then one day I found it! In my youthful impatience, I did not want to wait in the long check-out line, so I put the book down and left. I immediately regretted that decision and hurried back to the store the next weekend and discovered, to my horror, it was no longer there. The store manager said all unsold copies had their cover ripped off and were returned to the publisher. Blashpemy!!

That single regretful moment haunted me for the next 10 years as I searched to no avail for a copy. Anytime I hit a used bookstore, it was the first thing I looked for (still do). Then the internet hit and I found 4 copies on Bibliofind (remember, this was the early days of online shopping, before Amazon)! To help destroy that dark regret in history, I bought all 4 copies. While it did ease the wound, it did not heal. And so, I have continued my quest to buy more copies wherever I find them.

MY NEW GOAL is to have an entire bookshelf/bookshelves full of JUST the novelization of ALIENS. I shall bury the past in a mountain of copies! Insane? Fuk yeh its insane!! Honestly, it scares me a bit. But the Demon-Within demands its pound of flesh...

There are currently numerous copies of the ALIENS novelization available on Amazon for just $3.00!! I was seriously about to buy them ALL, but unfortunately, the standard shipping rate is $3.99. I require help and turn to my faithful readers....

WHO WANTS TO CONTRIBUTE TO MY MISSION?!
If you would like to help, please send a $7 Amazon gift card to jimsmash@gmail.com
*useful amounts would be: $7, 14, 21, etc as most books on amazon are $7 or more (including shipping)

"What, just 7-bucks? That's totally worth the free daily entertainment these past several years!"

I will also gladly take book donations if you have, or find, a copy!

For each book given to me, I will post a personal thank you here along with an updated pic of the psychotic shelf of strictly ALIENS novelizations! JOIN ME!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: Wow, the response has been AMAZING and my bookshelf is quickly filling up! Thank you all who have generously contributed thus far!


UPDATE 02 (5/19/20): Over the past 11 years of Insane Mission, the price of the books on amazon has risen from $4 to $7 (or more). This post has been updated with the current prices. Thanks to all Past and Future contributors!

SEE THE LATEST STATUS OF INSANE MISSION

38 comments:

Richard G. said...

LOL

Jim, i would be more than happy to contribute to your insanity!

Electronic Amazon gift card is on its way, brother!

Sorry, Mrs. Smash! :)

oh, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Maggi said...

Last time I checked, Amazon doesn't let people use gift cards on used books. I've tried.

Anonymous said...

you're gonna get busted on this one... I'm coming over for stuffing.

helen said...

Another gift card on its way! $8 for Mr. Smash, $4 for Mrs. Smash and $4 for Baby Smash.

crookymike said...

Don't know what the exchange rate is at the moment but I got you a little something to help you on your way.

Good luck on your noble quest.

Homie Bear said...

Did you find out if Amazon will let you use them for used books?

I still have my original Aliens book but I could never part with it sorry! A gift card might be in order if you can use it for the used books.

Jim said...

YES!!!!
THANK YOU RICHARD G, HELEN and CROOKY MIKE! (and any future contributors, heh)

So far it appears amazon has let me order the used books with the gift cards.

If anything changes, I will give an update.

(and if for some reason amazon informs me I cannot use gift cards for used items, I can just "swap funds" in amazon: use the gift card for non-used item I was to buy anyway, then pay for the used book.)

Thanks again!
As the books arrive, i will take pics and post with another thank you!

AWESOME!!!!!!!

LFC said...

unfortunately paying for tuition and other school related things is very costly as i would love to help i'm litterally rendered broke.. =( sorry jim..

Jim said...

I emailed amazon to clarify and this is their reply:



From: Amazon.com Customer Service

Hello,

You can pay for most of the Amazon Marketplace and Merchant orders with Amazon.com gift cards. If any of our Amazon Marketplace and sellers doesn't accept Gift cards as a payment method you will be notified this at the last page of the ordering process.

All Amazon Marketplace and Merchants orders are still processed by Amazon.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
*(name witheld)*
Amazon.com

Phil Freeman said...

Uhm, would you kill me if I bought a copy for myself?

Jim said...

THANKS FOR THE GIFT CARD, HOMIE BEAR!!!


And yes, Phil.... I will. I claim all copies for ME!!! Bwahahahaha!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think Phil should buy you a copy since he's yanking one from your stash! :P

Unknown said...

I have this philosophy, that goes "If the idea is way too bad, I must do it." I think you are on the right track here, Mr.Smash.

Since your $ is cheaper than our €, I donated bit more of that $$. Good luck!

Jim said...

THANK YOU, KING!!!!
:)

Jim said...

THANK YOU, MIKKO!!!!!!
:)

Jim said...

Wow, I'm shocked at the generosity from everyone! I can't wait for the books to start arriving. As they do, I will take pics of the shelf and give additional thank yous!

Anonymous said...

Jim, you have provided at least $5 worth of time killing entertainment for me over the last year or so.

Just do me a favor and find out if Richard G. is right about using gift cards for used books, and then I will send one, otherwise I can paypal you.

You know my email! BTW, LA was cool!

Anonymous said...

Nevermind, i think you answered the question down below, $5 amazon card on the wizzay!

Jim said...

THANKS, NFPGASMASK!!!!!
:)

Jim said...

THANKS, DOGFISH!!!!
:)

First book(s) should be arriving any day now... will post pics and thank yous as they arrive!

YOU ALL ROCK!!!!

Jim said...

Thank you, Mandora!!!!!
:)

Nosh said...

Just out of curiosity I did an ebay search; for a kind of rarity search. Thought you may find this interesting; from a collector's standpoint...

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-JAPANESE-ALIENS-MOVIE-NOVEL-/170448704182?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item27af88d2b6#ht_500wt_928

Good Luck sir!

Maganuna said...

Hi,

where do you live? I could send you a polish edition of this book:)

Jim said...

Shoot me an email, Maganuna! Sweet!

James said...

Hmmm. Fairly certain I have a copy of that. Let me dig it out and its yours. Email you for postal address?

Jim said...

Sweet!

Yeah, email me...

jimsmash@gmail.com

thanks!!!

jango52577 said...

Last time I checked...lol I have a paperback and a hardcover edition of this book. I have no idea why I have two copies but Aliens has always been one of my favorite movies along with Star Wars (especially Empire), Terminator 2, The Lion King, and Billy Madison.

CannonFodder said...

I picked up a version from the 90's of the 'Alien Omnibus' at my local Half Price Books about three years ago... it's Alien, Aliens and Alien3 collected.

It also has friendly text on the inside cover which says it is NOT available outside the UK. This makes me think that perhaps you'd have some luck checking UK-based booksellers. :)

Jim Powell - Centurian of the Ridiculous said...

Merry Christmas Jimsmash,

Thanks for the memories :-)

Amazon gift vouchers winging their way to you. Through the medium of Aliens novelization, we will live on forever.

Peace and progress

Jim Powell

Jim said...

JIM!! DUDE, THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I ORDERED 4 BOOKS TODAY!
I WILL POST AN UPDATED PIC OF THE SHELF ONCE THEY HAVE ARRIVED!

WOW, THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!

Jim Powell - Centurian of the Ridiculous said...

Very welcome Sir.

keep up the fine work :-)

dylanio21 said...

How is the book?

Jim said...

It's ok. You're typical Alan Dean Foster, good & bad.

Dr. Theda said...

Ordered through Schoolastic Arts the Book "Alien" (1979) has "Special Edition" across its cover...
we have a few copies of that One...

Jim said...

Thanks, Dr Theda - but "Insane Mission" is only the Aliens softcover, with that particular cover. :)

Dr. Theda said...

Sorry about that .... a really Great Film... Aliens is one of the Best films that we have ever seen.... We bought all of the magazines with articles And Fangoria posters...
as well as the Movie book of Aliens.... Great Alien Queen design by Stan Winston... and the did a great job on the sleeker new Xenomorph design.....

Anonymous said...

I think meanwhile, the Internet changed again, it is now nearly totally ruled by a few megalomanic dark forces. Sane people no longer use Google accounts or support Amazon - or Whatsapp... There are alternatives, yet.

C Cheshire said...

Think you might find this interesting Jim.....

Jonesy the cat action.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikOWdVPHLxM&t=37s

Charlie.