Thursday, July 26, 2007

WATCHMEN CAST NEARLY COMPLETE

All but 1 remains in the WATCHMEN movie casting announcements.
I believe the final one (Captain Metropolis) will be announced this weekend at the San Diego Comic Con. While I'm very skeptical a Watchmen adaptation can be successful, I'm keeping hope alive in my faith in director ZACK SNYDER, who has a good track record so far with DAWN OF THE DEAD (remake - one of the best zombie movies, I think) and 300 (which is fucking awesome!...... btw, 300 comes out on dvd next tuesday!)

The cast thus far is (pic, L-to-R) Billy Crudup (Dr Manhattan), Dean Morgan (Comedian), Malin Akerman (Silk Spectre), Patrick Wilson (Nite-Owl), Jackie Earle Haley (Rorschach) and Matthew Goode (Ozymandias).

Go pick up Alan Moore's outstanding, classic WATCHMEN graphic novel, that changed comics forever (comics are STILL copying it 20 yrs later!). Email Lisa or swing by your local comic store or bookstore today!

from Hollywood Reporter:
"Set in an alternate America, "Watchmen" follows costumed hero Rorschach, who is living a vigilante lifestyle because most masked heroes have retired or been outlawed. While investigating a murder, Rorschach learns that a former masked-hero colleague has been killed, prompting him to begin investigating a possible conspiracy"
More Info
--------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------
*ugh, that pic took me longer than it should have to make.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK,..I KNOW I'm in the minority here,..But honestly, I thought Watchmen was a little over rated. YES,.it's a good read, but I still fail to see the HUGE praise for it. I get it, and I know the theme hase been re-used over and over. But I find those stories as unenthusiastic as well. It didn't blow me off my feet. It's just a "Mirror Mirror" version of superheroes. It just seems to be dark and ugly for the sake of being dark and ugly and showing the "human", "tarnished" side of humans and the way we percieve our Heroes/Idols. (Same goes for Warren Ellis and his "WANTED"). And yes,..once again,..I GET IT. It's a good book, well written, good story, And I'm sure in todays narcissistic, scenical world we live in, everyone will love the movie. Because that's what everyone loves to do now is tear down anything that is percieved as better or having more moral fiber than them, so that they themselves can justify there own faults and pitfalls. I'm NOT saying it's crap. I'm just not as influenced/impressed as about it as everyone else seems to be. sorry, you can bitch at me all you want, but that's just my opinion.

Jim said...

When did you first read it? You must look at it from a historical point of view as well. Remember ,this came out in 86/87... If Dark Knight Returns came out today, you'd say the same thing about it - "eh, same as everything else out there." At the time, comics were in a completely different realm of feel and it was groundbreaking stuff. Plus the sequential storytellling by Dave Gibbons is quite lovely.

Anonymous said...

no,..that's not what I'm saying. I know it's "historical " reference, and like I said, I don't think it sucks, It's a good story....I'm just saying in MY opinion,..it's a little over rated., that's all.

spaceJASE said...

I agree with maker on this one.

It shone out to people at the time because it threw comics and their audience on their ear. Maybe because at the time it was "smart" and stuff. I don't know - i was too young at the time to fully appreciate it - but it didn't make the greatest impression on me then as a kid.

I'm sure now I would like it more. But it would seem old/tired now.

Anonymous said...

I have never read watchmen but I get what you all are saying. I felt the same way after seeing the original star wars movies last year. maybe I simply do not get it, but it looked like any other science fiction show I've seen, only with puppets added to the mix. They were fun, but overrated and cliche. Maybe its a generational thing.

Jim said...

My head just exploded.

Anonymous said...

now Richard,..while I do enjoy your support, I can't get behind you on the "Star Wars" Thing.. (maybe Jedi...:) )

-Empire is one of the greatest movies ever made...(as far as I'm concerned)

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of "Watchmen" and don't really get what the big deal is. Of course I read it for the first time like 3 years ago and I'm only 25 now. So for me it just seemed like a story that had been done before instead of this big revolutionary comic.

It also took me a while to get into it. I tried reading it once, but couldn't do it. So then I tried like three months later and made myself read it. The pacing just feels off, but that's how Moore normally rights.