Tuesday, October 17, 2006

QUICK MOVIE REVIEW: THE DEPARTED

We saw THE DEPARTED last night. And it ruled! The entire cast does a stellar job, especially Leonardo DiCaprio. I know, I can't believe I'm saying that either! After the shitstain that was Titanic, I never wanted to see his face again. But man, he won me over with his performance! In addition, it was so wonderful to see Jack Nicholson actually trying and acting again for a change (opposed to him just showing up and being "Jack")! When he puts forth effort, he can be great, which he was in this movie. The other cast members were awesome as well; Matt Damon, Alec Baldwin, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen.... I also can't recall when I've enjoyed a Scorsese film so much. The directing, camera work, sound and editing was refreshing and fun, veering close at times to "Indy" stylings without being too cliche or falling apart... it was edgy & appropriate without being obnoxious or failing. Where the story lacks (here or there), the performances of the actors more than compensates.

For me, this was one of the better movies of 2006. It's not perfect by any means, and you have to get past the super macho environment that the film takes place in. Also, the female characters are not the strongest to say the least. Again, this is the "world" the film takes place within (and it is a Scorsese film). But once you get past that (which is fairly easy, I felt), the ride you take kicks ass!!!

Plus, Drake from ALIENS was in it (Mark Rolston), so Bonus!!!!
Highly Recommended.
Overall Grade: A

No comments: