Monday, August 13, 2007

DVD REVIEW: TMNT & PATHFINDER

I caught up on some movies this weekend via dvd.
Here are me thoughts:

1) TMNT: I'm a full time dork. Being such, my normal day geek is usually what others do to do "something real geeky!!" So sometimes I must venture further down the cool ladder in order to have that same feeling of "doing something really geeky". Follow me? Yesterday was such a case where I had some friends over, ordered a pizza and watched the new 3D animated TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES movie.

Going in, I expected the worse - the old cartoon and/or live-action movies quality. As a fan of the OLD original kickass underground black and white pre-cowabunga dude Turtles, I still have a fondness for them... or atleast the premise, visuals and potential. Overall, I really enjoyed this flick! It was a nice middle-ground for all fans. The animation and lighting is cool and pretty. The monster designs are cool as is the armor of the bad guys. I also liked that the story was a continuation of what's come before instead of another origin rehash. Raphael was cooler than usual. Leonardo has some cool character development. Michaelangeo is toned down a bit (which is good). And unfortunately, Donatello is turned into a lame-o eunuch (bah!!). Anyway, overall this was alot of fun and while not great, it's the best outing of the Turtles so far. If only they'd make one for us Adults... [singing] It would be awwwesommme!!
RATING: C+

Hmmm, I'm really regretting sharing the whole pizza party part.... ah, fuck it.

2) PATHFINDER: I went in with very low expectations. "Vikings fighting Native Americans", I'm in. That's all I wanted. The movie is really stupid and they failed to meet my own small expectation. Visually, its awesome; great stylized cinematography, fun atmospheric lighting and kickass Viking costumes. Some of the shots are gorgeous and look like bitchin' Frazetta paintings. Sadly, the praise stops there. The movie is so poorly written and executed.... I felt like I was watching a movie made by an uneducated 15yr old who's grown up (and never left) Beverly Hills 90210. The "Native Americans" felt more like LA hipsters pulled off the street (or out of a Starbucks) and thrown in front of the camera. God, you know, I'm not even going to continue with this review.... the movie just fucking sucked and it took me 3 days to get through it. If you MUST watch it, start the movie around say chapter 6 or so, put the movie on mute and crank some death metal. You'll thank me.

Vikings vs Native Americans.
How do you fuck that up?
Sadly, TMNT was more enjoyable.
RATING: D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched both of these over the weekend too. I realyyyyyyyy enjoyed "TMNT" It wasn't the greatest movie ever but it was just fun.

I HATED "Pathfinder." I spent most of the movie bored out of my mind.

Anonymous said...

Pathfinder makes me horny.