Monday, March 09, 2009

QUICK MOVIE REVIEW: WATCHMEN

Comic fans are notorious for arguing with one another about everything big, small and tiny. However, there was always one thing they all agreed on: Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons' classic, complex, multi-layered WATCHMEN was simply unadaptable to the big screen, nor should an attempt be made.

Well, sadly, I think they were correct.

Director Zack Snyder did an impressive job of putting the comic up on screen; often panel-for-panel, dialogue-for-dialogue. Unfortunately that's all he did. The adaptation feels like he was simply going through the motions of putting each comic page up on the screen without keeping the FILM, as a whole, in mind.

Jackie Earle Haley (RORSCHACH) does an amazing job and steals the show! And Jeffrey Dean Morgan (THE COMEDIAN) does a noteworthy performance, as well. Those 2 aside, for the most part the remaining Cast's acting felt phoned-in and hollow (at best).

While other factors play into my review, in the end I felt WATCHMEN [the movie] is more a RE-ENACTMENT of the comic, than a film adaptation. Even with the extremely accurate visuals and dialogue transported from page-to-screen, much of what made the comic so great was lost in the transition and unfortunately the film falls short of its intent.

Read the graphic novel - it's much better.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*With that said, I'll still give it 1-more-go-round on dvd... mainly because many friends of mine do not share my opinion on this.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, we haven't discussed this yet, but i have to disagree with you on this one. It was MUCH better than i anticipated, and with the execption of some cheesy 80's songs that went on a little too long (..cough, cough,.. Halleluja.....) I thought it was great. Dr. M. was hollow, and pretty much flat, ....the owl was meek and a wus, ...everyone's "bad" acting fit perfect with their characters. other than seeing the WHOLE thing adapted, and the "tweaking" of the ominous threat at the end, it was great.

- now we will enter Thunder dome and settle this....

Jim said...

Yeah, it hit all the beats of the comic but lacked the heart/soul/intellect. It was a dumbed-down re-enactment.

I never felt any deep connection between the characters, which is the acting.

The whole movie was Surface, with nothing else below. A visual adaptation, that's it.

spaceJASE said...

I liked it. But I mostly wanted to see cool visuals and didn't expect the story to be well adapted into 3 hours. I only made it through the first few books before seeing the movie, but I kinda LIKED how close they stayed to the panels and dialog. I only wish they had used more garish colorizing like the comics were way back then. And maybe change the flash-backs a little visually.

MOCK! said...

Whenever Nite Owl (as Dan Dreiberg) was on screen, I kept seeing Jason Lee channeling a young Chevy Chase. I couldn't get past it.

I do think you have hit the nail on the head by calling it a Re-enactment.

I will see it on DVD, too.

crookymike said...

I really enjoyed it but have to agree with Jim saying the book was better. That said it will get more people to read it after seeing the movie, which I think can only be a good thing.

Frank Gillespie said...

Jim, I think you're dead on when you say it lacked heart and soul. As I watched the movie I kept thinking that my wife must be bored to tears. As she didnt know what to expect, she thought the movie was ok. I'm still struggling to see how someone who has no knowledge of the orginal comic book enjoys this movie...

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim,

Here is my review:

http://nfpgasmask.livejournal.com/67525.html

I think we agree for the most part. While I liked the film, it was blatently obvious that the Watchmen could only be enjoyed by those who have read the GN. For those who didn't, there are bound to be extremely confused...and likely disappointed.

Anonymous said...

Ok,
was going to stay out of it.
but nfpgasmask, your comment annoys me a bit.

I haven't read the graphic novel, I've avoided it since news of a film adaptation began circulating years ago, knowing the book is always better than the movie, so why ruin the chance to enjoy the movie at least once before reading the book.

That said, I enjoyed the film as a narrative, I was annoyed by some crappy visuals here and there, but as a story it was deep and engaging. So I don't think it was blatantly obvious that those who haven't read it, would dislike it.

It's possible watching the film without the novel, you don't build as much of a connection to certain characters, but I would not classify that as extremely confused or disappointed.

But now I have enjoyed the film, and still get the pleasure of reading the graphic novel and being able to compare what was left out and/or adapted, and hopefully enjoy the novel more.

Anonymous said...

great review! you nailed it.