Monday, November 15, 2010

SPIDER-MAN VS H.G. WELLS

In the recent, new-jumping-on-point issue of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (#648), the New Avengers respond to a new DOC OCK attack on the city. Upon their arrival they see giant robots wrecking havoc. Spider-Woman says, "Giant Octopus Robots. That's new."... which perplexed me because they look just like the MARTIAN TRIPODS from H.G.Well's "WAR OF THE WORLDS" circa 1898 (not new).

Now, maybe she meant "That's new for Doc Ock", but that's not what she said... anyway, I was pulled from the comic on page 2. Thought I'd share.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm seriously so sick of Marvel's "creative team'
Doc Oc robots?,..Ok,..do it...But how bout show a little imagination. Is that seriously to much to ask from "artists"

Daniel said...

I like Ramos' art and this issue was beautiful! That said, I agree there was no imagination. Sadly, we now live in a culture of 100% regurgitation.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that was a direct homage to War of the Worlds. And maybe it's just me but I read that as having implied sarcasm.

Jim said...

Hmm, I'll go with the sarcasm angle.