Monday, November 29, 2010

IRVIN KERSHNER PASSED ON

It is with great sadness that I post the passing of IRVIN KERSHNER, director of "STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK."

Empire is my 2nd favorite film of all-time and what I consider to be the best Star Wars film. Empire raised the bar for Star Wars, and the sequels/prequels that followed never maintained the same level of quality & awesome. When I think of Star Wars, it is the "world" of Empire that I see. The film transcends sci-fantasy & Star Wars itself, and stands on its own as an amazing, solid film. So much of this is due to Kershner.

Tonight I will re-watch THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK for the who-knows-how-many-time and raise a glass in Kershner's honor. Thank you Mr. Kershner. Your film continues to influence myself and a legion of fans spanning generations. Rest in Peace.

6 comments:

Jim said...

Some Trivia:

Kershner (Lucas' old film professor) turned down directing "Return of the Jedi". Reasons given were he was simply too tired to do it again so soon after "Empire", and difference of opinions with the Jedi script.

Also, had Lucas made the Prequels 10 years after Jedi's release, as initially planned, Kershner was willing to jump back onboard and do atleast one of them.

Can you imagine?
Its all I do, really.

Here's a fun interview:
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2010/10/irvin-kershner.html

xeno_alpha_07 said...

Damn :( sad news indeed R.I.P IRVIN KERSHNER

Locusta said...

Sad news.

Before ALIEN came into my life, "Empire" was my favorit movie.

All the best Mr. Kershner.

Anonymous said...

When Kirshner left, that was the point where The Star Wars Mythos/Universe went from being a solid, deep, intricate world That combined Science Fiction, with Deep Characters, High Drama Western, and Brilliant cinametography, to a Fan Fiction filled Saturday Morning Cartoon.


"-Kershner was right."

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Still prefer Star Wars but TESB is a hair's breadth behind it !! Sad news !! :(

Anonymous said...

People on the set of Empire called him Kermit, not to his face, because he apparently sounded like the muppet.