Friday, May 14, 2010

DEADPOOL MADNESS

I was looking through PREVIEWS last night and I realized that DEADPOOL currently has freaking (count-them) 1-2-3-4-5-6, SIX titles per month???

Did I miss something? When did the general comic buying readership demand to have so many DEADPOOL titles?

I've read a few of these books... I didn't think they were very good. The last time Deadpool was worth reading was in the mid-90s under the short-lived JOE KELLY/ED McGUINESS run... and even then, it was borderline.

DEADPOOL now has such a presence on the Comic Rack, that he is now classifed by Marvel as HIS OWN CORNER of the Marvel Universe (ie X-Men, Spider-Man, Avengers, Cosmic, etc). Is there truly such a large money-spending fanbase to warrant this character having 6 titles?? And in a Market where numerous other books -GOOD BOOKS- are cancelled due to "low" sales? I guess everyone's buying these books instead.

I feel like I've fallen into the TWILIGHT ZONE.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Titles: Deadpool, Deadpool: Merc With A Mouth, Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War, Deadpool Teamup, Deadpool Origins, and Deadpool Corps.
Plus, he's in the current "DOOM WAR" mini-series.

5 comments:

Mister Bones said...

I dropped Deadpool just in time. I was reading the regular title, then gave Merc With a Mouth a shot but it was horrible. Some of the issues of Team-Up have been amusing though.

Anonymous said...

Maybe they are preparing everyone for the incoming movie of him.

I liked the two first storys of Deadpool, way back in the 90´s... and I don´t remeber the titles. And i liked the Deadpool and Cable series (something that surprised me a lot). Taking that... well, he made a kick-ass apearance on the new X-Force, in the history arc in the future...

...I just hated the Ultimate Deadpool: it was like "let´s take all the jokes and what makes Deadpool Deadpool and make him more like Punisher but bad... not bad-ass, just bad."

Well, I still have faith on Ryan Reynolds...

Jim said...

Yeah, don't get me wrong - I like the character (when he's done right). And Ryan Reynolds would be perfect (not as Hal Jordan, WTF?). But is the Deadpool movie even going forward? I don't think its even started pre-production, which means a movie would be a couple-few years out.

I'm just surprised he's carrying so many titles.

JimBilly4 said...

Also, Hulked-Out Heroes is really a Deadpool book (Hulkpool...), and he is dropped into more books than Spider-man or Wolverine nowadays.

Yeah, I don't get it, but someone loves him.

2badguys said...

I don't get it either. He's like that mate-of-a-mate's that "you're going to love, he's so wacky", that turns out to be a total letdown. I drew a comic about it on my blog.

http://2badguys.blogspot.com/2010/05/deadpool-is-twat-discuss.html

First time commenting, but enjoyed the site for a while btw.