Tuesday, May 13, 2014

REST IN PEACE, H.R. GIGER


Imagination Lovers awoke this morning to the sad sad news that visionary Swiss Surrealist H.R. GIGER passed away. I am without proper words to express the loss felt....

Like many, I was first introduced to his work through Ridley Scott's movie 'ALIEN' and quickly devoured anything I could find that showcased Giger's artwork. My walls were plastered with posters & prints, my shelves stocked with his art books, and my sketchpad filled with embarrassing imitations. There are few artists who influenced me like Giger, with his biomechanical landscapes, intriguing sculptures, nightmarish fantasies and of course his work on 'ALIEN'.

To this day I still get excited goosebumps when I see the moody surface of LV-426, the Derelict ship, the Space Jockey, the Egg Chamber, the Eggs, the Facehugger, and of course the Alien itself. It his Alien Creature design that defines his Legacy for me and propelled me onto a professional, creative path in Life. In 'ALIEN', Ash describes the creature as "The perfect organism". I love that quote because that is how I view Giger's Alien. As a sculpture, a painting, a monster, and as art, it's beauty is surpassed by none. It is Perfection.
  
H.R. Giger brought something special to this World, and his influence was a gift. He will be sorely missed, but his Legacy lives on in the imaginative hearts & minds of generations.


H. R. GIGER
1940 - 2014

2 comments:

Andrew Glazebrook said...

It was very sad news indeed Jim!! :(
I also found out fantasy artist Patrick Woodroffe died on May 10th too, somebody else who's work I liked !!

Matthew said...

H.R. Giger was the Dark Art Master of the old “Hide The Phallus in the Art” joke. It's a classic, well played. RIP.