Wednesday, March 12, 2008

X-FACTOR: RETURN OF STROMAN

YES! I just read over at Marvel.com that penciller LARRY STROMAN is returning to X-FACTOR!!! That's right, he's the new regular penciller beginning with July's X-Factor #33! Stroman had a short run back in the 90s on the previous X-Factor series (by current X-Factor writer Peter David!). His art had a dynamic, graphic style to it along the lines of say Mike Mignola (except "slicker").

This is great news! My only concern is Stroman did a recent gig on the "What If? X-Men: The Rise & Fall of the Shi'ar Empire" one-shot and his art style wasn't quite the same... it wasn't as tight and graphic. Perhaps it was the inker? I'm not sure. Hmmm, although, come to think of it.... it was more like his Darkstars work..... er, um, and it was his first comic work in 10 years..... Anyway, Ideally, I'd prefer to see something more along the lines of his 90's X-Factor style.
[pages from "What If? X-Men: The Rise & Fall of the Shi'ar Empire"]
-
[preview pages of upcoming X-Factor #33]
-
Regardless, I'm stoked!! X-Factor is one of the BEST books being put out by Marvel right now. Peter David writes those characters perfectly, especially Madrox. David and Stroman on X-Factor again?! Oh happy day!!!

Previous David/Stroman X-Factor:
X-Factor (vol1) #71-81.....or....
X-Factor Visionaries: Peter David Vol 1
X-Factor Visionaries: Peter David Vol 2

Current Peter David X-Factor thus far:
X-Factor: Madrox - Multiple Choice
X-Factor Vol 1: The Longest Night
X-Factor Vol 2: Life & Death Matters
X-Factor Vol 3: Many Lives of Madrox
X-Factor Vol 4: Heart of Ice

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact LISA'S "NEPTUNE COMICS","GOLDEN APPLE COMICS" or your local comic shop to check out old and new X-Factor stories!!!!

10 comments:

spaceJASE said...

uh - You lost me on the comparison to Mignola. This guy is def action packed, but relies more on line work than shape. It looks like the inker lost some of Stroman's character when he inked the "What ifs".

I'd be interested to see more images that made you compare those two artists.

Robiscus said...

Stroman is the man. i don't read comic anymore but waaaaaay back when i did i was a huge 'Alien Legion' fan and that was where Stroman really cut his teeth in comics.

i read once that he was a replacement player in the NFL during the 1987 player's strike. crazy.

Jim said...

SpaceJase, the pages posted are his recent work which are unlike his previous X-Factor work (where I said "think along the lines of Mignola....not "just like Mignola) ;)

I'll see if I can find some better examples. But really, I was using Mignola as an example because both have a flat, graphic aspect to their work. I suppose his work is more like Mignola's OLD work, PRE-Hellboy.

Anonymous said...

Stroman is awesome, ever since Legion is work is great! Was wondering if he would ever come back...

spaceJASE said...

ah~ He was the wonder behind Alien Legion? I still have those. :) I'm just not a name person...

Jim said...

yep, Alien Legion dude!

Matthew said...

I didn't know anything about his return so when I opened my monthly issue of X-Factor, I was like, 'Whoa!' Oh my god they doin' it up hell of X-Factor style from the DAY!

Anonymous said...

Are you guys joking? X-factor 33-35 are the worst looking comic books I've ever read and I cancelled the series because of it.

It looked so good with all of the artists before 33 now its a disgrace.

Jim said...

Ya know, I really enjoyed Stroman's previous X-Factor run in the 90s and was excited about his return... but yeah, his art just isn't the same, nor does it fit with the current X-Factor incarnation. I'd like to see him moved over to another x-book, and bring back any of the previous artists - return the book to its noir tone.

Anonymous said...

I remember when whilse left and he eventually came in, I was so disappointed. then I not only grow to liking his working but had a deep respect for his style whihc has stayed to this day.

As with before Stroman's appraoch is an aquired taste; give it some time, it will grow on you.