Saturday, March 31, 2007

ALIEN TATTOO

Dig this ALIEN tattoo! The artwork was taken from the cover to Dark Horse Comic ALIENS: EARTH WAR #1, by John Bolton (albeit mirrored). Except they've added those lame cartoon "vampire" hands, which I just don't get. At least add some biomechanical texture to them to better integrate them into the Alien. Anyway, below is the comparison of the comic and tattoo
The other covers in the 4-issues series by Bolton weren't as strong in my opinion, and the comic itself was lacking (Bolton did not do the interior artwork). I really like Bolton's cover to #1. It incorporates the BODY of Giger's original design and the HEAD of James Cameron's version. The proportions, angles and detail work is pretty close to accurate; just the right amount of his own artistic liberties added. Issue 2 was a good idea, but the proportions are all wrong and the head looks weird and too streamlined in its curves. Don't get me started on Issues 3 and 4 - they had the "new aliens" in them. Bah! I do not acknowledge. Anyway, I've always thought the cover to Issue 1 was one of the best depictions of the Alien.

1 comment:

kLownn said...

It's called a Xenomorph, and it's originally designed by HR Giger, a swiss artist. :)
I do agree too, those hands look reaaally stupid on the poor alien!! It's REAL hands are a lot cooler than those silly things!
I'm planing to tattoo an alien on my Dad. :D