Thursday, April 20, 2006

VILLAIN OF THE DAY: MEDUSA

In honor of missing out on the Clash of the Titans showing last night, Today's Villain of the Day is MEDUSA!!! Holy crap this scene kicked ass! It was scary and it was awesome. The creepy torch lighting alone made the scene. At first you just see dudes getting arrows in their necks (Medusa with bow and arrows? BRILLIANT!!). Then a glimpse of a snake tail. Then a glimpse of a freaky silhouette. The sound of death cries followd by a rattlesnake's rattle. Then the soldiers-turned-statues, with absolute horror frozen on their faces; do not dare look her in the eye!. We now see Medusa in all her glory - the green scaly torso of a woman, a snake's body from the waist down, and her hair...her ghastly hair made of live venomous snakes! Hiiissssssssss!!!. Wow! What a sight! Do I dare continue to look at her? I don't want to be a kid-statue, forever frozen in the theater seat! But I must look! She's just too damn cool looking!!!!! Finally, the hero remains. How can he defeat this Cursed Goddess?!! Well, rent the film and find out! Just know the scene and the villain is one of the best ever put on screen. And her evil touch is felt later in the film, too! Medusa, baby, you're just too damn bad!!
*HIGH FIVE!!!!*

4 comments:

woobot said...

*High Five* on that one!

Anonymous said...

THE best ray harryhausen creation bar none....heh heh, Call me old fashioned but for all the special fx these days (apart from yours jim!) nothing comes close to the magic and fear of Medusa

Jim said...

I may be doing Today's FX, but NOTHING beats Harryhausen stop-motion!! I actually prefer the "jitteryness" of the motion when handling unnatural creatures - it makes them all the more different than what we see in our normal boring world. I have a beef with today's animation - not everything moves like a mammal!!! Think beyond that and use your imagination. Thankfully, I'm not an animator, so I can wave my finger at others. heh.

Lisa said...

Medusa - I love it. High Five! She's always a great villain.