Wednesday, February 07, 2007

OLD STAR TREK "NEW" - PT4

Here's another installment of "Old Star Trek 'New'", showing before and after pics of the "new" Star Trek episodes where they are replacing some of the FX shots with new stuff. Here are some pics from the latest aired episode, "The Doomsday Machine"!!!
Once again, I'm not impressed. Most of the shots don't even need the "remastering". And again, I still think it looks like obvious CG, replacing one dated FX look for another. However, in terms of composition and storytelling, the botton 2 remastered are more dynamic. Any chance to see the Enterprise from outside at different angles is a good thing. If they could only blend the new better with the source footage. Right now, it screams to me and feels very out of place. I don't know if its the lighting, the texturing, the depth of field.... still looks fake, only now stands out even more. Maybe its just too clean and crisp against the grainy, gritty original footage. I will admit that I find the new "look" of film (clean, crisp. HD) unsettling unreal (Life is not sterile!), so perhaps that's part of it. Thoughts?

No comments: