Due to several requests, here is a post on yesterday's "First 5 minutes of AVP-R" release by FOX......
FIRST, THE COOL:
1) The Predators look and move like actual Predators, as opposed to the steroid dudes in AVP.
2) Dad gets his arm burned off by acid blood and kid gets face-hugged.
3) Get to see Predators running around inside the Predator ship. Some nice lighting, camera work and editing of the Pred crew getting killed here.
1) The Predalien looks ridiculous, with its dreadlocks, giant mandibles and Pumpkinhead physique. It's simply a horrible design that should not exist in the Alien Mythos. It's entire look and biology contradicts the previous movies and established "rules". Plus, it goes from Chestburster to Full-grown creature in a manner of seconds? Sigh.
2) I still hate that this movie takes place on Earth, in Modern Times no less. Have the planet be a colonized planet somewhere.
3) Aliens do not have skin. There is a shot with a Predator skinning the skull of an Alien. Again, Aliens do not have skin - they have an exoskeleton. It may seem minor to non-fans, but this is a good example of how the creators simply do not know what they are doing with these creatures.
1) I don't need to see the Predator homeworld, nor do I want to. Leave it a mystery. Why do people nowadays feel the must know and see everything????
2) The main Predator is "a Cleaner".... like "The Wolf" in Pulp Fiction. These are the directors' words, not mine. Lame.
3) In the 5min shown, they rehash songs from the soundtracks to ALIEN 3, ALIEN: RESURRECTION and PREDATOR.
Overall, a fun 5 minutes that already looks a thousand times better than the first AVP... which isn't saying much, because AVP has nothing to offer. AVP-R looks to be a fun "Fan Film" with some cool imagery and lots of stupid bullshit.
I plan to buy a ticket to GOLDEN COMPASS and sneak into the AVP-R theater. I will not give money to the Studios for this film. I implore you to do the same. I also look forward to editing the fuck out of this once its on dvd, so I can watch a nice little "music video" of cool imagery.
I know my rage sounds silly, but I hold ALIENS very close to my heart. I think most people will enjoy this. For me, it just breaks my heart.