Saturday, December 07, 2013

GUEST POST: MEGO COMIC ACTION HEROES

JimSmash presents a guest post by WOO, who shares pics of his bitchin' collection:


My earliest memory of bringing to life the world of superheroes came out of my many play sessions with my Mego "Comic Action Heroes". As a kid, I was happy to have a pint size Batman and Superman to play with, but I thought their bodies were sculpted awkwardly, to be honest, it looked like they were taking a dump.  So I grew out of them, and in 1978, fell in love with the straight legged figures of the Star Wars line. However, nearly 40 years later, I found myself wanting to complete the Comic Action Heroes line, to preserve them as  historical and cultural artifacts, and to finally give these little guys the respect they deserve.

 [ Woo Custom: Bizarro! ]
 
 [  Woo Custom: Red Hulk! ]

In 1975/76 Comic Action Heroes by Mego were the first licensed 3 3/4" line ever manufactured, so despite the line's many obvious peculiarities (bent legs, awkward empty fists) they are truly an industry innovation, forging the way for all "pocket-sized" figures that have become ubiquitous today. Later in 1979, the figures were re-released as Mego "Pocket Heroes", with all the figures retooled with straight legs. In this new line, they also created side characters from the 1978 Superman line, as well Star Trek: The Motion Picture, the Greatest American Hero and the Love Boat.


___________
Awesome! Thanks, Woo! 

4 comments:

Hobgoblin238 said...

I was a fan too as a kid. BUT...Have there ever been any sort of news for a second series of them?THAT would be cool.

OR...Retroactionfigures with Funko COULD make a second series in the same style.

Woobot said...

A second series would be great! Who would you want to see... Any x-men?

IsuzuGeek said...

Taking a dump AND jerking off with that fist! LOL The fist even had a little weaner hole...

I hope Jim doesn't ban me from his blog!! LOL

Unknown said...

My favorite toys ever!!!