Wednesday, June 19, 2013

MARC SILVESTRI SHARES TOUCHING STORY

via facebook:

As most of you know, last weekend I attended the Niagara Falls Comic Con and the entire experience was slathered in gobs of gooey awesomeness! Now that I've been back in LA for a few days I thought I'd share with you something that happened there that pretty much sums up why I love comic books, and the community that has sprung from them.

I was in the groove of signing comics for a lot of terrific fans when a smiling woman of about 50 walked up with three X-Men books in her hands for me to autograph. We talked a bit (I try to chat with fans as much as possible because well, it's fun!) I was curious why she had picked those particular issues and she told me that the books in fact belonged to her husband and that she brought them to the show for me to sign. This is a pretty common thing and I thanked her for being such and awesome wife for waiting in line and doing that for her hubby. I asked her if she wanted to come around and take a photo with me (again, pretty common) and with freshly signed comics in hand she came around the table and we took a great pic. And then came the reminder of why I love comics and the people that read them...

I thanked her again for waiting in line and told her to say hi to her husband for me. She smiled, leaned in close so no one else could hear, and told me that her husband had died 15 years ago and that these were his favorite comics. He had never gotten the chance to have them signed himself so 15 years later, she got them signed for him. I gave her a hug and thanked her. There were others in line waiting for a signature but I sat quite for about 5 minutes after she left. I will remember that moment and be grateful for it for the rest of my life.

-Marc

4 comments:

KEV HARPER said...

Excellent.

Phil Freeman said...

Woah. Now that's true love.

Ali said...

That is such a great story!!!!

Maker said...

poo eye.....