Wednesday, April 22, 2009

X-MEN MOVIES: THIS EXPLAINS SO MUCH...

excerpt from ShortList interview with Hugh Jackman:

ShortList.com: Were you a big comic book fan as a kid?


Hugh Jackman: Not at all, no. When I got the audition… there’s this rock band in Australia called the Uncanny X-Men, and Brian Mannix was the lead singer. And I was like, “They want me to play Brian Mannix?” I had no idea about it. Then I read [Wolverine comic] ‘Snikt!’, and his claws come out and they had all these words for it and they say, “Wolverine all of a sudden explodes into a beserker rage,” and I’m like, “Is this English? What is this?” It was all new to me. Since then I’ve realised how incredible, how artistic and how brilliant they are. [X-Men director] Bryan Singer wouldn’t allow us to read any of the comic books, he banned them from being on set. The producer Tom DeSanto used to slip me them under the door, though, which was great. And actually they’re brilliant – the storylines, the dialogue, and the physicality, and how in four or five frames they can describe an entire mind or emotional attitude. I got a lot from that, actually. I copied quite a bit from the artists, about how I play the role physically.

5 comments:

Rictor said...

I am not the biggest x-men movie fan. they're ok and Singer didn't totally fuck it up. At the time marvel movies were historically disasterous so it was nice to see a decent silver screen adaptation. but as an x-comic fan, it fell flat and was "off". that excerpt does indeedy explain a lot! and his first wolverine comic book was the manga Snikt? jesus fucking christ.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this explains a lot about Hollywood in general. All too often the people making the movies aren't even fans of the source material. Most of the time I could care less, but when it comes to stuff I loved (GIJoe, Xformers, countless comics) it just sucks. Why was the LOTR trilogy so good? Because Peter Jackson really knew and loved the source material. And despite it's few shortcomings, I really have to give props to Zack Snyder for staying so faithful to the GN when he made Watchmen.

Robiscus said...

The new full length teaser for this crappy new Wolverine movie was on the Fox Movie Channel last night and it revealed that apparently the ridiculous story point of Wolverine having bone claws before he got metal ones is in the movie.

And HOW in the world did the guy directing this film get the gig? He has done nothing of consequence his entire career and suddenly he is directing the early sumer blockbuster of the year?!!?

Anonymous said...

singer gets a lot of credit foe making these " brilliant " films,....but the truth is, they were only good because they DIDN'T suck. period. He gets WAY too much credit for those films. Aside from names and powers, there was nothing else that really portrayed the true feel and characters of the series. And if you disagree, just ask yourself,..is that the X-MEN movie YOU would have made????

Paul said...

I re-watched the first X-Men movie a week ago and I didn't really enjoy it. I haven't seen X2 in a long time, but I know I loved it when I saw it in theaters. I'm almost afraid to watch it now.