Monday, April 06, 2009

AEF ALIEN QUEEN EGG CHAMBER DIORAMA

In the mid-late 80s, when I newly forming into the psychotic ALIENS fan you see before you, there was very few ALIENS-related merchandise available.

AEF DESIGNS was putting out small 1/35-scale, unpainted models of Marines, Eggs and Aliens... and I drooled over them! I was able to pick up 2 of the Alien warriors and the Queen before the store who sold them suddenly went out of business. This was before the magic of the Internet and e-shopping, so I was pretty much out of luck at that point.

The uber-prize of the AEF line of ALIENS mini-models was the ALIEN QUEEN EGG CHAMBER DIORAMA! To this day I still mourn not ever owning it. I'm only comforted by a color ad that came with my warriors. Yes, I still have it:
I had actually forgotten about those AEF models for several years until today, when JimSmash Reader Chris (aka "Sabre21768") emailed me a pic of his painted Queen! His friend, "Reverend" painted the kit and Chris posts on the Hive forum:
This is the AEF Queen Alien and Eggsack dio. This kit is 1:35, which means it's small. But, it's packed full of detail.

Now, this is a pretty old kit. And some of the pieces were in "less than desireable" condition.

So, Reverend customized ALOT of this piece. He added walls, 2 new support pipes (1 for the eggsack, 1 for the "boney" supports), the "webbing" supporting the eggsack, extra eggs.
He even added the "tendons" to the Queen's mouth! Killer stuff!

There are even 2 Alien Warriors in there. Man did he knock this one outta the park. My pics can't even do this piece justice.

Thanks a million Rev!

You can find more pics of his painted Queen kit HERE.

And click HERE to see Chris' awesome collection! JEALOUS!!!!

Thanks for sharing, Chris! Kickass!!
And thanks for reinvigorating my desire (and pain) regarding this diorama!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"before the magik of the internet"

maaaaannnnn how old are u?? lol

Sabres21768 said...

Thanks Jim.

Glad I could remind you how damn cool this thing is.

And yeah, I remember when there was no internet. Hell, I remember the beginning of cable. Remember...when MTV actually played music videos.

Jim said...

33, PUNK!

Jim said...

I still have my big ol' yellow casette Walkman and yes it still works like a champ!

Anonymous said...

I have one for sale new is box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304125737351