Sunday, January 08, 2006

MOVIE REVIEW: MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

We saw MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA a few days ago, directed by Rob "Chicago" Marshall. I'm finding it a bit difficult to review this movie justly - perhaps it's the jetlag - so forgive me.

Overall, I thought it was a really good movie. The acting, directing, editing, storytelling, cinematography, costumes, sets, etc - all well done! Zhang Ziyi did a great job, as usual, as did the rest of the cast including Michelle Yeoh, Li Gong and Ken Watanabe. Suzuka Ohgo, as the young Chiyo, really stood out as well.

I think this was the best movie I've seen this Holiday Season. My only "complaint" is that most of the cast is Chinese, and it was obvious to me & difficult to get past at times (you have 2 of the biggest Chinese actors in American Cinema playing Japanese Geisha?).
But I suppose we all look alike. hmph!
:)

Anyway, its a good American movie about the Japanese, played by Chinese actors, directed by a White guy! hehe
Give it a viewing!

I give this 4 Lil Jimmys (out of 5)

No comments: