Tuesday, November 01, 2005

MOVIE RECOMMENDATION: THE UP SERIES

This is a great documentary spanning decades. It begins in 1963 where the filmmakers interview several children, all age 7, from various levels of Societal Classes. They ask the children about their hopes for the future, their opinions of the present, and about Life overall. Then every 7 years from then, they return and interview them again. So what we see is how each child moves through life.
So far, there are 6 films so we see them ages 7, 14, 21, 28, 35, and 42 (which was filmed in 1998).

The initial premise was "Give me the child until he is 7 and I will show you the man." However, as the series progresses, the film takes on a life of its own and transcends that initial thought (atleast in my opinion). We no longer focus on how similar (or dissimilar) they are as adults compared to their 7yr old counterparts... but instead, look within ourselves and see how quickly Life moves. For me, it really helped me refocus on what's truly important in Life.
Its also very entertaining! I'm sure I'm not doing it proper justice here. Check it out for yourself!!

Click here for more.

* Terra gets full credit for bringing this series home and making me watch (I fought her for a day or two)

No comments: