Sunday, July 31, 2011

SDCC 2011

Sorry for the delay... but you know it always takes me a week or so to do quick report on the San Diego Comic Con. Anyway, this year was fun... and FUCKING CROWDED... I went down for just Saturday and Sunday....

I picked up the Ralph McQuarrie SNOWTROOPER bust, which is super sweet. But unfortunately did not get the Con-Exclusive STARSCREAM GIJoe Striker repaint. I'll spare you the bullshit sob story. But it was the primary reason for going down there this year. I'm pissed & sad. I also picked up a copy of GREEN LANTERN #85 (Speedy's a junkie issue!) and had NEAL ADAMS do a personalized autograph. I met WALT SIMONSON... he signed my Beta Ray Bill issues of THOR as well as the Archangel issues of X-FACTOR. We also briefly geeked out together about his brief 2-issue HAWKMAN run a few years back, which was fun! Rode an elevator with STAN LEE. I also bought the hardcover edition of ALIENS: BOOK ONE, and then a few other misc trades at 50% off. 2 super cool people stopped me to say 'hello' after seeing my 'JIMSMASH!' t-shirt - that was fun (and embarrassing). Partied briefly in the Gaslight District  - slight chance I might be on an episode of SyFy's 'FACE OFF'. . oh, my buddy bought Lee/Kirby's FANTASTIC FOUR #2!

That's about it, really... I wasn't really on the hunt for anything hardcore like usual, so I "took it easy" this year and enjoyed the overall experience with some great friends. As I mentioned above, it was ridiculously crowded - the worst I've ever experienced at SDCC. I felt like I had been in a mosh pit for 2 days. The insane crowding really hindered a lot of the potential fun to be had. I may not go again next year, simply due to the crowds. That and the product selection kind of sucked... limited, scarce diversity and over-priced items. But who knows, we'll see next year. Oh, and the zombies roaming the streets were annoying.

Click HERE to see a bunch of photos taken at SDCC 2011

3 comments:

Timewaster said...

Cool pictures. I love that 50- something year old guy's Warlord costume.

TimPro said...

Awesome! I love the pics! Thanks for posting them.

Shaun said...

Awesome Jim, I put some SDCC pics up on my blog as well, check them out if you have a chance.