Wednesday, December 08, 2010

X-MEN: AGE OF X

As a life-long X-Men fan & reader it broke my heart when, after 25 years of collecting (and 46 years of stories) I dropped Uncanny X-Men due to Greg Land's art.

Currently, I'll sporadically pick up some X-Stuff based on recommendations and/or the rare solicit (btw, "Second Coming" was fucking awesome! Available in trade now). This isn't that pertinent to the post, but I feel I must bring up the dropping of Uncanny due to Greg Land's art and to give you an idea of where I currently stand as an X-Fan. With that said....

Like most X-Fans I'm a sucker for Alternate/Future X-Men stories; "Days of Future Present" and "Age of Apocalypse" being 2 favorites. X-Men: Legacy writer Mike Carey is set to give us a 7-part alternate reality crossover entitled "AGE OF X". Carey says, "The whole world has become hostile territory, impossible territory for mutants. There is one fortress (a sort of Mutant Helm's Deep), where all the surviving mutants are invited to come [and its the 11th hour]". Here's some promo artwork:"Age of X" begins in January with Age of X: Alpha #1 and will continue through New Mutants #22-24 and X-Men Legacy #245-247. Fingers crossed this one will be one of the "good ones"!

6 comments:

Astroluc (Find me on Tumblr and Instagram @Astroluc) said...

regarding that 2nd preview poster:

-what the heck is Storms right leg standing on? Sunspots(?!) butt?!

-Nice to see that, out of 15 characters, there is not a single foot rendered; and from 30 possible hands (only 8 shown), only one isn't a clenched fist.

-don't get me started how they all look like the same male and female, but for different hair and clothes...

...damn.

Anonymous said...

Your hate for Greg Land knows no bounds does it?

Jim said...

Nah, I just hate his artwork.
I simply dislike it enough to drop Uncanny X-Men until a new artist comes onboard.

Anonymous said...

Strange, I think Land is one of the better artists working today.

Jim said...

He seems to be one of those artist that people either love or hate.

I primarily dislike his tracing and copying.

But when he's not doing that, and his photo reference doesn't scream as photo reference (meaning there's enough of his own work "on top" to make it look/feel like something original) then I don't mind it.

To each his own.
:)

Anonymous said...

Look's AWESOME 20 years of collecting... I'm sure Jim can draw so much better....looks great...