Wednesday, November 14, 2007

MISFITS

I went to the MISFITS show last night at the House of Blues, Sunset. They're on their 30th Anniversary Tour which is hard to believe - 30 freaking years!!! I wasn't quite sure what to expect seeing as I stopped listening to them after Danzig left, only 1 founding member remains (JERRY ONLY) and I've only recently been exposed to their last few albums (which are actually quite good, btw).
The current Misfits lineup include Jerry and 2 members of BLACK FLAG - Dez Cadena (guitar) and Robo (drums). While I enjoyed hearing some classic Black Flag, the overall sound last night was unfortunately weak. Every song was played with furious speed to the point of sounding like bad garage band speed metal. Most of the time the band was out-of-synch with one another and Jerry's vocals were breaking, cracking and trembling. It took several seconds into a song to realize which song was being played. A good portion of the show could almost be classifed as noise. While I do realize this was a PUNK show, its also a MISFITS show and we expected better. My hardcore Misfits friends (fiends) were bummed to say the least.

But the stage setup looked awesome with smoke, lights and brimstone; classic Misfits you'd expect and want. While the performance didn't sound like the Misfits we wanted, there was still a great energy to the performance and I had a great time! Like I mentioned above, the last 3-4 albums are actually quite good. Check em out!

No comments: