Saturday, May 14, 2016

DARWYN COOKE PASSED AWAY


Like everyone else, I am blindsided by the news of DARWYN COOKE'S sudden passing. 

He was a special talent of sequential art storytelling, who's every contribution to comic books was a love letter to the medium and super heroics.

Cooke rocked it as a storyboard artist on 'Batman: The Animated Series' and 'Superman: The Animated Series'. He even animated segments of the intro to 'Batman Beyond' (which blew me away!). 



My favorite piece of work by Cooke (which is no easy task to determine) is his masterpiece, "DC: THE NEW FRONTIER". If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it! Great great stuff!




They also made an animated movie adaptation that is fantastic:




There's so much to praise, but I'll just mention one more thing that I loved by Cooke: His 2001 CATWOMAN costume design!



_____



DARWYN COOKE




1962 - 2016

Rest in Peace


1 comment:

Timewaster said...

Technically, Darwyn Cooke only animated segments of that opening. All the artists on Batman Beyond animated different beats. For example, that shot of Terry dancing with all the girls was animated by an artist named Sandra (who's last name escapes me right now).

Fun fact - the moment about 45 seconds into that video that does a whip pan around old Bruce Wayne's head as well as the circular pan around Terry are not actually animation. Bruce Timm painted toys to look like the characters and filmed that with a video camera. The Batman Beyond figure at 48 seconds was an old Robin from "Batman: The Animated Series" figure painted to look like Batman Beyond. The bad guys surrounding him were just cutouts of paper.

I know all this because...I was there.