Wednesday, December 21, 2016

METALLICA: HARDWIRED... FOR SELF-DESTRUCT

The new Metallica album, 'Hardwired... For Self-Destruct', is pretty decent. It feels like an extension of their previous album, 'Death Magnetic', which isn't a bad thing.

Disc 1 is pretty great and mostly solid. Mostly.

Except for one track, I could do without Disc 2. I'm sure my review will change with multiple listenings, but that's my initial reaction.

Everyone has different tastes, so with that said here are the tracks I like:

'HARDWIRED':


'ATLAS, RISE!':


'NOW THAT WE'RE DEAD':


'MOTH INTO FLAME':


'SPIT OUT THE BONE':


* Replace Disc 1's 'Dream No More' for Disc 2's 'Spit Out the Bone' and Disc 1 becomes a fantastic, single album.

________________

** Before the inevitable Metallica Argument begins, let me say:

- I think their greatest albums are 'Kill Em All', 'Ride the Lightning' and 'Master of Puppets'.
- "One" aside, I'm not a fan of '...And Justice For All'
- 'The Black Album' is overrated and the first sign of trouble.
- The two 'Loaded' albums are meh, but have some fun "Hard Rock" songs. 
- 'St Anger' is dog shit.
- 'Death Magnetic' was pretty good.
- Metallica are tools.