Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A PRINCESS LOST: RIP CARRIE FISHER


Carrie Fisher died today at the age of 60.
 
I've struggled all day to properly express the impact of someone who holds so many happy memories from Childhood. The more I would write, the more "Princess Leia/Star Wars" references I peppered into it, which felt "wrong". As if I was boiling down a person's life, of which I admittedly only know the highlights, into a single role she played 4 times.
 
Carrie Fisher was larger than life and was so much more than just our princess.
 
But her portrayal of PRINCESS LEIA ORGANA was iconic and captivated generations. So perhaps it is fitting to pay tribute to her most famous role that redifined our concept of "princess" and continues to provide new happy memories into our Adulthood.
 
Princess Leia was larger than life and so much more than just a princess.
 
Leia was our leader, our hero, our crush, our general, our rebel!
 
Leia taught us to stand up to tyranny, to deny the shackles of societal norms and most importantly, she taught us to have Hope during the darkest times.
 
Leia was intelligent, rebellious, unique, true and larger than life.
 
Leia was Carrie Fisher.
 
I think that is why her passing has effected us all so profoundly.
Today, we lost our princess.
 
 
 
 
"Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow."
 
 
 "The father who flipped out about it, 'What am I going to tell my kid about why she's in that outfit?' Tell him that a giant slug captured me and forced me to wear that stupid outfit, and then I killed him because I didn't like it. And then I took it off. Backstage."
--On the rumored ban of Princess Leia bikini
 
 
 
 
"I got to be the only girl in an all boy fantasy, and it's a great role for women. She's a very proactive character and gets the job done. So if you're going to get typecast as something, that might as well be it for me." --On her role as Princess Leia
 
  
  
"I don't want life to imitate art, I want life to be art."
 

CARRIE FISHER
1956 - 2016

 

4 comments:

Ali said...

Perfect. I couldn't have said it any better. She made me see that girls could be powerful and kickass and strong. The only princess I ever wanted to be growing up. RIP Carrie. May The Force Be With You.

Dr. Theda said...

a very good tribute... She will be Missed by Many...

Locusta said...

Beautifully put into words, Jim. Most fans and many admirers of her and the SW sage, can only second that. You shine among the stars now for all eternity in a galaxy far, far away.

Dr. Theda said...

Damn the "All-Powerful" CAS....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You had posted some wonderful images....
She was our Princess since childhood... goodbye dear Leia...