Thursday, August 30, 2012

FOLLOWUP: VULCAN MATTE PAINTING

 My buddy GLAZY emailed me this morning regarding my earlier post about the 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' matte painting of Vuclan:

"Hey buddy, I checked my Star Trek:The Motion Picture DVD earlier and this is the shot they used to replace that superb matte you posted, the camera tracks down and we see Spock near the bottom of the frame there praying !! Bit naff really compared to the original one, but I suppose more in keeping with the rest of the scene and it’s location!!!!"   --Glazy.

 new matte painting for dvd:

 original matte painting:

I understand their reasoning for changing it, but they lost something in doing so. I still want the original version as a mural in my house.

Thanks, Glazy!

2 comments:

Jeyl said...

Vulcan has no moons... let alone being a moon that orbits planets bigger than it is. Also, when Spock gets up from mis meditation, he's clearly looking at the blinding sun. Yet both matte shots clearly show no sign of a sun./

One other thing. If you check out the original matte paintings that were intended to be used for the Vulcan scene, you will not that they bear a much stronger resemblance to what is seen in the Director's Edition than what we have in the original theatrical version. The matte we got in the original version was a result of rushed effects that needed to be finished before it's quick release date.

Anonymous said...

I interpreted it as the' redone scene' gives you a sense of Spock in his immediate surrounding, meditating.

I think the older version with the moons, gives you a sense of Spock trying to silence his mind but still connecting to the overwhelming outer limits of space.

Not in the biz though, so I'm sure these scenery descions are more about time crunches than anything. But I like the sense that the original gives you.