Sunday, March 11, 2012

MOEBIUS PASSED AWAY

We've lost another LEGEND in the World of Sci-Fi/Fantasty, Illustration and Imagination... The incredible MOEBIUS passed away yesterday at the age of 73.


I was first exposed to the mind-blowing work of Moebius with his story 'ARZACH', via my older brother's 1970s' HEAVY METAL Magazine. Big, funky-tall hats... pteradactyl-like creatures... insane detail.... and superb storytelling.

Soon after, I would see 'ALIEN' and again be influenced by his work - Moebius designed the kickass Nostromo suits, as well as did concept work for the Approaching the Derelict sequence, and for 'TRON'.

I could not escape Moebius in the 80s (thank the Gods) and would see his work in various gorgeous MARVEL posters and of course his collaboration with Stan Lee on 'SILVER SUFER: PARABLE'.

Recently I finally acquired his COLLECTED INCAL, which is something everyone should have in their collections - they should really start reprinting this book.

Moebius was a trailblazer who influenced generations around the World, and in my opinion, one of the all-time greatest contributors to 20th and 21st Century Sci-Fi/Fantasty Art.

Rest in Peace, Moebius. And thank you for the gifts you've given to us all.

Below are a few classic images that immediately flash into my brain when I hear the words "Moebius":

5 comments:

Gianmaria Caschetto said...

Will be missed. It's strange he passed away just days after McQuarrie...
I've seen a wonderful documentary about the guy on the dutch television not so long ago. Every time he laid a pencil on a sheet of paper it was like opening Pandora's box...

Andrew Glazebrook said...

The guy was a legend !!!

Locusta said...

I can only quote Andrew.

God, this year starts to suck.

allen etter said...

I spent a half hour featuring Moebius and McQuarrie during my last art history class. Many images were pulled from jimsmash yo honor these two. Thank you!

allen etter said...

not 'yo' but 'to' ... sorry for the error. Meant no disrespect!