Tuesday, October 19, 2010

GREG LAND'S TRON COVER

Speaking of Tron... JimSmash Reader PHIL F. sent this to me:
Ok, so they released the cover that Greg Land drew for the Marvel adaptation of the original Tron film. I decided to have some fun and see how quickly I could tear it apart. In under an hour, using Google Images, I quickly found several of the reference images that he probably used. I've attached the original cover and my photoshop edit, showing the ref pics:
Original cover
Sark
Kevin Flynn & disk
Yori
Lightcycle (and the Grid lines up!)
Guard (not exact)

I'm pretty sure he recycled the Light Cycle twice, and the Guard looks recycled both times, but his pole moves. I could not find a reference for the Recognizer, though it looks fairly geometric and inaccurate to the original. Thanks again for an awesome blog!
--
-Phil F.

Thanks Phil!!

It seems like he did indeed, like he often does, use Google Images for many of the pics. Although (to be fair) since its a MOVIE ADAPTATION of the film, I can let the photo-tracing slide with this one... but its still fun to discover his "process".

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice one, Phil!

Red Jimsmash said...

This one's a bit of a stretch. Of course elements are going to look similar. And I highly doubted that Greg Land traced the disc floating in the air.

Ricky said...

if you overlay the 2, you'll see most of them are indeed taken straight from the google images.

while some are a stretch, I wouldn't put it past Land to trace that disc.

G said...

i seriously have no respect for that guy,.....high school, bush league stuff.....

Mike Petersen said...

I don't think Land's girl is actually from the Cindy Morgan. Once again she kinda looks like that one actress he uses a lot (birds of prey girl).

He must get royalty payments from that actress.

Anonymous said...

Anytime Jimsmash rips on Greg Land is a good time. You made my day!

Jim said...

ha, well I can't take any credit on this one. This was all Phil F!

Anonymous said...

GC, lets keep it clean. I think there's been enough name calling around here, and I don't want to see JIM delete another comment section...or remove comments all together.

BUT,.... I agree with you

:)

Anonymous said...

Why do you care so much? Every professional artist uses ref images. greg land is an awsome artist

Anonymous said...

Why do you care? He's awsome and every professional artist uses ref images.