Monday, March 29, 2010

OPINION CHANGE: CLASH OF THE TITANS REMAKE

Well poop... this weekend I saw another trailer for the CLASH OF THE TITANS REMAKE. While I wasn't super pumped before, I was trying to be optimistic and was getting excited to see this new one - it looked fun and at a level where I would go see it in the theaters. But not after seeing this latest trailer.

What's turned me off is the horrible Medusa face-morphing... the hair-snakes all hissing and attacking with her ala Little Shop of Horrors... the over-the-top video game Medusa battle scenes (the original Medusa scene is still fantastic cinema storytelling!)... and the yawnsville CALIBOS... Plus there's the disappointing giant TURTLE KRAKEN. My interest is gone.

To me, this film simply looks like a rushed, crappy fantasy movie you'd expect to see on the SyFy Channel. Ok, maybe not THAT bad... but not as good as I'd hoped (which was already with low expectations). Hopefully my fears will be proven wrong and this remake will be fun flick, worthy of multiple viewings and reside within the "JimSmash Movie Library". But for now, unless I hear overwhelming praise from trusted sources, this remake looks to me to be a RENTAL.

Medusa Face MorphI wonder if Medusa's hair-snakes talk and/or sing?!
---
Video Game Medusa Fight
---
Chubby Turtle Monster
---
Lame Calibos---
Here's the new Medusa scene:


Here's the old Medusa scene:


Old Calibos (sweet):

*previous post

([most] images via IGN)

9 comments:

pacimage said...

Yup... as a kid, the original Medusa scene scared the Hephaestus out of me! Heck, I just saw the movie again the other day, and that scene was still filled with tension (and Harryhausen's work = amazing)!

Agreed with the jumping and flying around in the new flick. Also, the lighting really added to the mood of that seen (in the original). Look how bright the new scene is! Wow, I didn't know Medusa powered her lair with compact fluorescents!

Koolaid said...

Hmm if only there was some other 3d movie out there set in a mythological setting worth watching.. one that's getting fantastic critic and viewer reviews.

Timewaster said...

I'm really curious to see the new one. Sure the Kraken is lame looking, and the new Calibos looks like the Geico Caveman, the Medusa scene isn't as cool, and there won't be as much (or any) nudity, but I still...uh...wait, why do I want to see this again?

Anonymous said...

If you know of a movie currently out there, set in Greek myth, with Medusa, Harpies, Sea Monsters, Magic, and the Like, with brilliant conceptual design, ....then please inform me, cuz I sure as Heck don't see one.

Phillip said...

Anon, clearly you haven't seen Percy Jackson yet!

:P

Nelson said...

HA HA

AiR MaVeN said...

The new scene is a FAIL. The old scene builds anticipation, it could have been executed better of course with today's technology.. yet film makers of past could engage your feelings with very minor camera tricks & running for your life action scenes & the slo-mos and the wires tricks. Take'em away.. and what are you left with.. certainly not substance.

For some reason the movie "Three O'Clock High" comes to mind. One of the ultimate David & Golith flicks.. and it was made in the 80's!! Watchin it just got me pshyc'd to punch someone out!

YOUTUBE: "Three O'Clock High"

Anonymous said...

uhm,..like I said
"...If you know of a movie currently out there, set in Greek myth, with Medusa, Harpies, Sea Monsters, Magic, and the Like, with brilliant conceptual design, ....then please inform me, cuz I sure as Heck don't see one..."

:)

Xenos said...

Bah. Skip this and rent some of the God of War games. There's the better Clash of the Titans remake.