Monday, June 18, 2012

READER MAIL: JRJR'S AVX WORK

My buddy Jason O emailed me while I was on vacation about the latest issue of Marvel's turdfest 'AVX'. He loves ROMITA JR like I love Greg Land and I enjoy his angry JRJR emails. I haven't had a chance to address his concerns so I thought I'd just post his email (hope that's ok, JasonO!)...

Hey Jim - I know you're on a much needed vacay, but we need to discuss JR jr's atrocious artwork in the new AvX #5. Specifically this big "fight" he drew to kick off the issue.

Am I wrong in not being able to tell what the fuck Cap's shield is doing here??? Did it get embedded in Namor's hip??? I mean, come on! The previous page shows Cap throwing it, but seriously - anyone who's not a complete buffoon knows a shield can't fly through the air like that.

And then Cyclops' optic blast - what the hell is it "exploding" on? Red Hulk's leg?

This is one of the most awful examples of his hackery I've ever seen. Please use your considerable influence on the web to SMASH THIS!!!

(you could also make that a new column on the site - Jim SMASHES So You Don't Have To)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not touching the sheer awfulness that is AvX, but...

My opinion is that Cyclops' beam is "exploding" on Cap's shield.

Cap's shield looks like it has speed lines under it. I'd thought it was a graphical glitch, but Namor also has speed lines. That would imply Cap's shield is moving up, away from Cyclops' beam "explosion". I think we are supposed to be seeing the moments after Cyclops blasted the shield, with the beam still present, but the shield having been moved to a new position due to the blast.

Now, as for how stuff got into that situation in the first place, I have no idea. The shield is near vertical and moving vertically, but is no where near enough to Cap to have been "blasted" out of his hand. Nor does it make sense for Cap to throw the shield forward vertically.

I guess Cap could have thrown the shield the way he normally does, and Cyclops hit the shield with a blast, which somehow popped it vertical. Maybe Cap threw the shield at Cyclops and Cyclops defended with a blast, or maybe Cyclops tried to blast and Cap defended with a shield throw.

Regardless of anything, it is poorly laid out.

RobbiedaKid said...

My guess is that the image was drawn in pieces and layered for ease of use by the art team. Easiest answer is that the shield layer was moved by accident. Cap has a pretty clearly clenched fist and the beam is obviously supposed to be hitting the shield.

I'm shocked no one else thought of this. As a designer, when I looked at it my immediate response was, "Oh, someone moved the layer by accident and no one noticed."

RobbiedaKid said...

Although, on second thought, there are motion lines coming off the shield making it look like the shield hit the optic blast mid-throw and was deflected.

If that's the case (and what was intended) then yeah, yikes, that's pretty bad.

Anonymous said...

Marvel just didnt want you to see sub mariners clenched buttocks and since they dont care about art anyways...

Jason Garrett said...

I fully support the idea of "Jim SMASHES So You Don't Have To".

Jim said...

I kind of thought that's what I've been doing all these years.... ;)