Lots of good (and bad) comics this year - too many to read during my schedule (booooo). But here are those that stood out when looking back in my fuzzy memory:
* SINESTRO: If you liked Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run, and especially his take on Sinestro, then you should check this book out out.
* AQUAMAN: This year was the first year by writer Jeff Parker. It had its ups and downs, but it still remains my favorite book. I miss Ivan Reis on art, but Paul Pelletier (p) and Sean Parsons (i) do a decent job. The great coloring by Rain Beredo holds the book together. The current arc, "Maelstorm", is looking to be the best arc so far by Parker & Team.
* MULTIVERSITY: PAX AMERICANA: One of the best single issues I've read in a long time. Here's my previous quick post about it.
* MAGNETO: This is the best X-Book being put out (which isn't saying much). But even still, its a great book and if you're a fan of Magneto, you should check it out. I just wish he wasn't sporting the lame Xavier Tribute shaved head. (Seriously, Bendis?)
* SPIDER-VERSE: SPIDER-GWEN: It's kind of ridiculous how they've knocked it out of the park with this new character, which is a Gwen Stacy in an alternate reality, who was the one bitten by the radioactive spider. And man, what a great costume!
* UNCANNY AVENGERS: 2014 had Remender wrap up his long quasi-Uncanny-X-Force-Sequel. If you liked his Uncanny X-Force, check out this series which just ended. But not you'll have to power through the first terrible 4 issues.
* JUDGE DREDD: CITY OF COURTS: Judge Dredd + Ulises Farinas = Gold, baby!
* BITCH PLANET: Kelly Sue Deconnick's feminist send-up of the exploitation film genre that takes place in a dystopian reality where non-compliant women are sent to an off-planet prison.
* SUPERIOR/AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: Dan Slott has earned a place in Spidey-History as one of the best runs, IMO (sorry, Nova Grace!). The run really kicked off when it was retitled 'Superior Spider-Man' with Doc Ock taking over Spidey's mind and life. 2014 saw the return of Peter Parker and the now in-progress event "SPIDER-VERSE" with the mother of Spidey-Team-Ups consisting of alternate reality versions of Spider-Man lead by none other than a time-displaced Superior Spidey-Ock! So far its soooo good and tons of fun!
* EAST OF WEST: This continues to be one of my favorite books. Sci-Fantasy Post-Apocalyptic Western!
* BATMAN & ROBIN: Tomasi and Gleason are one of my all-time favorite Bat-Teams. 2014 saw Bruce powering forward to save his dead son's body (and soul), teaming up with others, donning a rad battle suit, traveling to Darkseid's Apokolips, which finally results in....
* SAGA: Vaughn and Fiona Staples continue to write a book that's so good it will make you angry. Gah, its ridiculously good!
* ALL-NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA: I've only read the first issue, which has Falcon taking over the mantle of Captain America. The first issue was a lot of fun with tons of action, and the art by Immonen alone put the book on this list.
* SWAMP THING: Soule saved this book after Snyder left, IMO. But the gorgeous art by Jesus Saiz has this book as one of 2014's best. Saiz's take on Swamp Thing kicks ass and I'm sad to see DC has cancelled the book.
* AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE: The series had a slow, somewhat non-steady rollout, but the constant waiting was worth it. Archie Zombie Apocalypse. 'Nuff said.
* RAGNAROK: What happens AFTER the Twilight of the Gods? Well if there's one person to tell us the answer, its WALT FUCKING SIMONSON! Yeah!
* ODY-C: Matt Fraction and Christian Ward's psychedelic sci-fi, gender swapped retelling of Homer's 'The Oddyssey'. Fraction is also writing it in the same six-syllable dactylic hexameter.
* DETECTIVE COMICS: I put this on the list for Francis Manapul's arc "Icarus", which had great art and a story worthy of the book's title.
3 fun crossovers worth mentioning:
* TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES and GHOSTBUSTERS
* USAGI YOJIMBO: SENSO - (Usagi vs H.G. Wells' Martians!)
* STAR TREK VS PLANET OF THE APES
* DAWN OF THE PLANE OF THE APES: Koba!!!
* GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: My second favorite Marvel film!
* BIRDMAN: Personally, I found the "single shot" aspect a bit annoying, but it was still a great film. Michael Keaton rocks!
* FURY: Now one of my favorite WWII movies. Plus I love tanks!
* CAPTAIN AMERICA 2: THE WINTER SOLDIER: My favorite Marvel film to date!
* LEGO MOVIE: "Spaceship!"
* THE INTERVIEW: Worth mentioning just for the Historic reasons. Plus, I really liked the movie.
* HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2: I put this on the list simply for the kickass designs seen throughout the movie.
* EDGE OF TOMORROW: Sci-Fi Groundhog Day. Emily Blunt is fantastic (Carol Danvers anyone?)
* GAME OF THRONES continues to be fucking awesome! I cannot wait for the new season!!
* THE FLASH has quickly proved that its a fun, light-hearted superhero romp, full of geek moments!
* ARROW: SEASON TWO (and first-half of Season 3): Season Two shifted the tone from "Nolan Vigilante" to "Fun Comic On Screen". As with The Flash, once you power through the sporadic, vomit-inducing romance bullshit, you are rewarded with 2 great comic TV shows. They should "redo" Smallville like these.
* STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS: FINAL SEASON: This series got off to a bumpy start but by Season 3(?) it was mostly kicking ass and becoming a Prequel series that I not only approved of but became a fan of. The final season was incredible and was so close to showing Anakin begin his path on the Dark Side, you could taste it! Then Disney bought LucasFilm and cancelled the series. Forget those shitty Prequels Lucas made - THIS series is all you need (just skip any episode that has "Jar Jar" - or "Padme" really - in the synopsis). The overall series had 2 stories going on; 1) Anakin being the hero you wanted him to be, and 2) Getting to know the Clone Troopers, which became an awesome story.
2014 was an impressive year for kickass toys. There's simply too many to post here, so here are but a few that stood out for me:
Surfing '66 Batman figure
Walgreens exclusive White Boba Fett figure
Neca's 8-Bit Predator figure
Hallmark's ALIEN ornament
(not a toy per se)
(not a toy per se)
These 3 Predator figures - got em all!
Christopher Reeve Superman
and Terrence Stamp Zod figures! KNEEL!!!
18" Star Wars Inquisitor w/Helmet
(like something out of Dune!)
36" Han and Luke in Stormtrooper armor.
24" Glow-In-The-Dark Alien (SDCC exclusive)
Hot Toys' amazing Marty & Time Machine!
Jek Porkins Bust (SDCC exclusive?)
Total Heroes' Aquaman figure
Pulse Rifle bottle opener
Not a toy, but goddamn do I love drinking brew that's been opened by this new personal friend of mine!
Overall, 2014 was a great year full of challenges, heart-warming love, gut-wrenching loss, and super fun geekery! May 2015 bring you all the delights that Life can provide!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
* Note: I may add to this list if I think of anything I forgot in the coming days.